One of the first things you notice when you walk into a room is the flooring. It can blend in with and enhance the decor or it can be so distracting that it’s the only thing you notice. Considering how important flooring is to both your interior design and your comfort, it’s definitely something that you want to take your time with and go over all of your options before making a decision.
Knowing Your Options will Help You Choose the Best Flooring for Your Home
There are so many more options to choose from today than ever before, so finding flooring that is beautiful, durable and appropriate for your home is possible. However, you will need to take some time and go over your different options first, so you can make an informed decision.
Below is a list of some of the most popular types of flooring available today along with a brief description:
- Hardwood floors- You have a wide variety of woods to choose from that include birch, maple, hickory and oak along with some exotic options like Jatoba and Merbau.
- Carpet- This flooring creates a warm and inviting environment and it’s made from different types of materials such as nylon, polypropylene and polyester and you can choose from different pile heights.
- Vinyl- Vinyl is durable, economical and easy to clean with a modern look and various patterns to choose from.
- Bamboo- Bamboo is an eco-friendly option that looks and feels like real wood even though technically, it’s a grass that grows very quickly.
- Laminate- This flooring looks very similar to hardwood and stone floors but it’s much more affordable and easy to care for.
- Tile- Tile is durable, easy to clean and there are thousands of patterns available that you can combine to create even more designs.
- Linoleum- This looks and feels very similar to vinyl but the materials used to make it are more eco-friendly.
- Concrete- This option is fairly new to homeowners but when used correctly, it can be a very stylish option and it’s extremely durable. Concrete is naturally cold so you may want to consider using a floor heating systems if you choose this option.
- Stone- Real stone is cut into different size tile shapes for a unique and beautiful design but like concrete, it’s naturally cold.
- Cork- Cork is an eco-friendly option because it is a sustainable material that’s water resistant and it also repels mold and mildew and has insulating properties.
- Terrazzo – Made from all types of recyclable and reclaimed materials like wood, marble, quartz, granite and glass, these floors create a modern, unique and interesting design while doing something good for the environment.
Our expert interior designers and decorators have spent years helping clients find the best flooring to match their decor and lifestyle. We also offer a wide variety of other services to help you complete your design projects.
Each one of the options above offers a variety of styles, textures and colors to choose from, so it’s easy to find something that matches the rest of your decor. While this is important, it’s not the only thing you should consider.
Consider Functionality and Practicality When Choosing Flooring
Your floor will completely change the look of a room, so choosing the right type of flooring is extremely important. You do want to pick something that you like but you also need to consider functionality and practicality. For example, bathrooms and kitchens are prone to mold and mildew, so choosing flooring like cork would be a better choice than wood flooring that is easily damaged by water.
Taking your time and choosing flooring that is both functional and practical will ensure you’re happy with your choice for a very long time.Google+