High-end home interior design projects begin with a plan that revolves around creating the layout, choosing the flooring and picking out the furnishings but many people tend to make quick decisions when it comes to the lighting. This is unfortunate since it has such an impact on the overall design.
Knowing what your options are and how to use light to create different types of environments will help you choose the right type of lighting for your home. Your lighting design is very important.
Types of Artificial Lighting Design Options
You have many lighting options to choose from that includes a wide variety of sizes, shapes and styles. Understanding your different options will help you make the best decisions, so take a few minutes to do your research before going shopping.
Below are the most common types of lighting options available to help you get started:
- Ceiling Lights- Used for general lighting throughout the home especially in rooms with low ceilings. They sit flush or near the ceiling and they disperse light in all directions at once.
- Reflected- This type of light bounces off or is reflected by other objects such as the ceiling or a wall.
- Fan Lights- These light fixtures are located on the bottom of a fan and you can choose between directional lighting and a globe light that provides general lighting.
- Directional- Designed with adjustable lamps these are used for decorative purposes to highlight specific items in the room that you want to display such as a painting or statue.
- Pendants- Very stylish and sophisticated fixtures that provide both general and task lighting depending on the type you choose and where you attach it.
- Task Lighting- These focus the light in a specific direction to make the area more functional.
- Chandeliers- Normally installed in dining rooms and kitchens, these range from the small and elegant to the very large and dramatic.
- Recessed- Fixtures are set into the ceiling or wall and they create a warm glow throughout the room. All you see is the glow from the light, not the light itself and the type you choose determines what kind of light is produced.
- Lamps- You can choose between table and floor lamps that range in all shapes and sizes.
Using a combination of artificial light in each room will ensure you have adequate light for all activities.
Ask a Professional for Help
The best type of lighting to use will largely depend on which room you’re placing it in, so you need to consider the location carefully. It’s also a good idea to go over the different options with a professional. Here at J. Design Group, we have experience selecting lighting for both residential and commercial property and we provide a variety of services to ensure your interior design is a success.
Proper lighting will enhance your design and create a warm and welcoming environment. It will also increase functionality and help you create different types of ambiance for different activities, so it deserves a lot of attention. When you choose the right type of artificial lighting for your home, you’ll be much happier with the overall design.Google+